May 10, 2011







When it’s warm outside it brings me back to my teenage years when I was in high school.  Warm days, to me, have a certain smell.  This smell takes me back about 20 years.  I don’t have many good memories of high school, only a handful of days worth remembering.  Not many teenagers know how fortunate they are to be so young and to have the world, as they say, in the palm of your hands.  I did, however, realize how lucky I was.   For some reason it was always the easiest remembering this when the warm breeze would graze my face, the grass would tickle my bare legs, the mist of a sprinkler from a nearby lawn would spritz an arm as I walked by, and the sound of birds chirping replaced the noise of a busy city’s Main Street.  No matter how much I had on my mind the sun was always a cure for the blues, confusion, or just simply boredom.  It would comfort my body and relax my thoughts.  If anything seemed impossible to fix, I was able to remedy it now! 
I was driving to Auntie Lola’s house the other day with you in the back seat and it was beautiful out.  I had the sunroof open and the fresh air was just dancing around the car and through our hair.  I took some deep breaths desperately searching for that smell to take me back.   It doesn’t always come easily and I started to wonder why.  All of a sudden it was clear!  With you in my life I’m less interested in being somewhere else even if that somewhere else is also a wonderful place.  Nothing could ever top being in the moment if that moment includes YOU!



No comments:

Post a Comment