May 19, 2011






When I first started showing you how to eat solids, I would open my mouth wide to show you how it’s done.  That was about 4 months ago.  To this day, when feeding you, I notice that I will open my mouth and shut it with each bite you take.  It has become a natural, sometimes uncontrollable, reflex.  It takes some good effort on my part to not do it.  I laugh at myself each time secretly thanking God no one is there to witness my odd behavior.  Now I share it with the world, written in this letter, so when you get older you can have a laugh too! 
So apparently I have to get movin’ and start feeding you finger foods already.  Don’t think I haven’t tried.  You just weren’t interested in them much.  We tried giving you a piece of cereal, the ones that dissolve in your mouth.  Although you picked it up, surprisingly, you DIDN’T try to eat it.  Daddy broke it into pieces and tried to put a piece in your mouth.  Instead of IN your mouth, however, he got it ON your mouth.  It just stuck to your bottom lip while you gave us this confused expression.  I have to admit I haven’t tried again after that.  I’m a bit scared, okay petrified, that you are going to choke.  I’m not so sure how I would respond in an emergency situation.  I’d like to think I will be excellent under pressure, a supermom to the rescue, but that wouldn’t be realistic.  I pray that I’m never put to the test but if I was that I’d pass with flying colors. Not so that I could feel good about myself but so that I could save your life.  Oh the things that mothers think, okay worry, about.  I think I am going to try a banana this time.  Even with something that I know is soft and easier for you to swallow, I still find myself worrying.
On another topic, I was in the bathroom this evening and saw one of my fashion magazines was still in its wrapper unopened.  I actually forgot about it.  Imagine that?  Boy, have my priorities changed.  It used to be the minute I received the magazine in the mail I was already thumbing through the pictures before I even sat down, relaxed and actually read the articles.  Too funny!
Until tomorrow baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment