May 13, 2011







I tried to post this last night but the blogging website was down for maintenance. 
First, and most importantly, I must wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  It is Friday the 13th and you are 9 months old today.  Since you were born on a Friday the 13th this birthday is extra special.
We had a fun visit with Auntie Lola yesterday.  You were such a good girl.  You were in a great mood!  I had originally planned the visit to Auntie’s so that we could take you for a ride on the bicycle.  Your bicycle seat and helmet were delivered just a couple days before and I was all excited to take you for your first ride.  The issues of trying to find you a helmet that was small enough to fit your tiny noggin prompted an online search for answers.  In the midst of my search I came across some interesting information regarding the age a baby should be before you take them in a bicycle seat.  Apparently a baby, under the age of 12 months, has not fully developed their neck muscles yet and cannot tolerate the weight of a helmet no matter how light it may seem.  There were other factors, in addition to that, to consider as well.  Since I’m not always sure if I’m just being a worry wart or if my concerns are actually justified, I decided to call your pediatrician for her thoughts on the matter.  I do know parents that have taken their baby’s on bicycle rides earlier than 12 months and their neck muscles developed fine.   I guess it all comes down to choice and just making a decision.   Just as I suspected, your pediatrician wasn’t comfortable with it either.  Being such, I’ve decided to put the bicycle adventures on hold for a bit.  I’m a little disappointed because you’ll be turning 1 at the end of the Summer and who knows how much warm weather we will have left mid August to enjoy a bicycle ride.  I can’t count on the Fall, which would also be a good time to enjoy the outdoors, as we typically skip right over this season and go right into Winter.  The next thing you know we are needing scarves and gloves and, oh, is that a snowflake?  It’s a tad depressing, but we’ll work it out.  Worst case scenario, we wait until next year. 
So instead of an outdoor excursion we went to Gymboree for a bathing suit.  You got some headbands, a 4th of July and halter dress, two hats, two bathing suits, a pair of the cutest shoes, a turquoise tutu, and a pair of sunglasses.  You got so much that I’m probably leaving something out.  You were such a little trooper letting me and Auntie put everything on you, from hats to headbands, sunglasses, and shoes.  You looked so cute in everything; it’s amazing we didn’t leave with the entire store.   
Today is another beautiful day and wouldn’t you know Auntie has already called asking if we are coming over.  It’s very tempting since we always have fun with her.  Although today I am very tired.  We’ll see I guess.  Let’s get through your first nap of the day and see how we are both feeling. 
Until tomorrow baby girl or perhaps just a bit later.





No comments:

Post a Comment